2016 Fastlane Grant Application
The Port of Longview (Port) constructed the Port's Industrial Rail Corridor (IRC) in the early 2000s to provide more efficient access to existing import/export facilities, to stimulate economic growth within Washington's Cowlitz County, the Pacific Northwest (PNW) and the country, and eliminate the negative impacts associated with at grade crossings in the local community.
The focus of this FASTLANE project is a further expansion of the IRC. The proposed IRC Expansion Project consists of relocating the original IRC north, to accommodate three new through tracks, 6 new sidings, and to allow for increased train clearance lengths of 8,500 feet and greater. These improvements will provide much needed unit train access and staging for current customer and future tenants on redeveloped and underutilized berths that are currently underutilizing the freight capacity of the Port.
This proposed FASTLANE project will cost $62 million in future eligible costs and will produce a benefit cost ratio of 1.36 at a 7% discount rate, and 2.25 at a 3% discount rate. As a major driver of our nation's global freight economy, the Port has identified the IRC Expansion Project as the critical next step in growing their facility to retain existing, and attract new, global importers of American-made goods. The IRC Expansion Project, which will be completed in 2019, will create the necessary rail connection to the future through track and staging area for the Port's planned development at Barlow Point Terminals, expected to be partially developed and operational by 2025.
Letters of Support
- City of Kelso Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Columbia River Steamship Operators Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Cowlitz County Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Cowlitz Economic Development Council Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Pacific Fibre Products Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Pacific Northwest Waterway Assistant Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- Transportation Department Prioritized Freight Projects List - Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- U.S. Congresswoman Herrera-Beutler Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)
- U.S. Senator Cantwell Letter of Fastlane Grant Support (PDF)